Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Mom Juggling it All - Karrie Jenson

1. Could you tell me what you are juggling (e.g. number of kids, work, school, home, etc.)?

I am juggling everything you can imagine and possibly more. For starters, I have five children: 19, 17, 15, 13, and 11, and I work 48 hours a week as a manager at Arby’s. I also have responsibilities like managing a household, keeping it clean, shopping, and paying bills. On top of it all, I just returned from a year of service in Iraq as a member of the U.S. Army Reserves. My rank after nine years is E6 or Staff Sergeant.

Before I left for Iraq, my days ended at the kitchen table as I helped my children to make sure their homework was finished, which sometimes involved having all of the kids at the table doing homework at once. At the same time, I was doing my own homework. You see, last month I graduated from Kaplan University with a bachelor’s in management.

For pleasure I like to read. Some of my favorite authors are Danielle Steele, V. C. Andrews, J. D. Robb, Nora Roberts, and John Grisham. I also enjoy Dan Brown.

2. Why did you decide to further your education? What was the driving force?

My primary driving force for going back to school was to show my children that if you put your mind to something, work hard, and manage your time, you can succeed and achieve your goals. Second, I set a goal to finish college before I was 40, and I did it! My motivation was to make sure that I was self-sufficient and didn’t have to rely on anyone else to pay my bills.

3. What are your aspirations for the next portion of your life? Your career goal?

My next aspirations are to become an officer in the Army Reserves, become a Director of Human Resources in five years, and obtain my Master’s in Management before I turn 40. I should come pretty close.

4. How do you manage to juggle all the things in your life now?

I use a calendar and a daily planner so I can keep track of my many appointments and commitments. I tend to plan about a month out so I can make sure to schedule a date night with my soon-to-be-husband as well as quality one-on-one time with each of my children.

5. How will you continue to maintain your busy lifestyle after you graduate?

I love to stay busy and make sure I have goals to work toward. I am motivated by knowing that I can do anything I set out to do. My calendar and my planner are my best friends; they make it possible for me to juggle all of my activities and reach my goals.

6. Anything else you would like to add?

I am not a very good runner, but when I have to run for the Army two-mile physical fitness test, I imagine my children cheering for me at the finish line. They’re my best motivation!

In life I find that making a decision to start is great, but making it to the finish line is even better. Sometimes I trip and fall, and there are bumps in the road that need to be navigated differently, but seeing the end result helps me achieve all

1 comment:

  1. I'm very impressed that you have been able to do so much in your young life. You obviously have your priorities inline with where they should be. Congratulations on all that you have accomplished and good luck in your continuing success. - Yaya

    http://yayashome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE

*Stories for Children Publishing, LLC. (SFC) and its divisions do not receive any compensation for product reviews beyond a sample and/or limited access to a paid website. SFC donates all books sent for review to a charitable organization. SFC may do a contest or giveaway of samples we receive. SFC does not review any samples sent without a request for review to the Blog Editor, VS Grenier. SFC's staff members will not return unauthorized samples to the senders, but will donate them without review.