Thursday, September 24, 2009

Mom Juggling it All - Lisaca Shuttleworth



1. Could you tell me what you are juggling (e.g. number of kids, work, school, home, etc.)?

When I was attending college, it was me, my spouse, and one child. While in school I became pregnant, had my daughter, and finished school—missing only two weeks.


2. Why did you decide to further your education? What was the driving force?

I was tired of not making ends meet, even with state financial assistance, and always having to tell my daughter that I couldn’t afford to buy her the toys she wanted. It was truly hard to say “no” to her so often. I worked every job possible from factory worker to housekeeper, and I wanted to find a job where I couldn’t be easily replaced with just any person off the street. I also wanted to show my daughter that you can get what you want in life if you work hard enough. So, my daughter was and is my driving force.

3. What are your aspirations for the next portion of your life? Your career goal?

I currently work with the elderly in an assisted living facility, including residents with dementia. At this moment my goal is to work with hospice patients. I want to make a difference in my life by treating my residents with the respect they truly deserve. I’d like to help make them as comfortable as possible at the end of their lives because everyone deserves respect and an extra bit of care.

4. How do you manage to juggle all the things in your life now?

Managing everything in my life takes lots of patience and deep breaths. You have to learn how to keep work and home separate and spend family time at home no matter how tired you are at the end of the day and no matter how small the interaction. For me that could be playing cards or Barbies, cooking dinner together, or taking a walk.

5. How will you continue to maintain your busy lifestyle after you graduate?

I graduated about a year ago and find myself pretty busy now, though it is easier since I don’t have papers due and can spend what was study time as family time.

6. Anything else you would like to add?

Going back to school is the BEST thing I could ever have done for my future and for my children’s futures. It is something that other moms can do, and I feel Kaplan University helped teach me great study habits and helped me learn how to balance home and school. It all worked out well for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE

*Stories for Children Publishing, LLC. (SFC) and its divisions do not receive any compensation for product reviews beyond a sample and/or limited access to a paid website. SFC donates all books sent for review to a charitable organization. SFC may do a contest or giveaway of samples we receive.