Saturday, September 19, 2009

Moms Juggling it All Week Kicks Off Today!

The days of women “just” being a housewife are almost extinct. Women today are running their own businesses, having the career of their choice, raising children, going back to school, and amid all this craziness, still finding the time to manage a household.

How do they do it?

Based on their personal experiences, four moms tell us what it takes to “juggle it all.”

Our first mom is Virginia Grenier. Here is what she has to say:

“I juggle SFC (Stories for Children Magazine), my personal writing, two kids (a thirteen-year-old and a four-year-old) plus a baby on the way, one little yappie dog named Taz, and a big fat cat named Speedbump that likes to lay across my computer when I’m working. Oh yeah, and the dog likes to hop into my lap at the same time.”

1. Could you tell us a bit of what you do?

Well here’s a quick run-down of what I do. Besides being the founder and Editor-in-Chief of Stories for Children Magazine, I’m also the editor of SFC Newsletter for Writers, a children’s author (Babysitting SugarPaw is my debut picture book), and a freelance editor for Halo Publishing. I also run my own editorial and critique services for writers.

2. What’s a typical day like?

LOL. I’m not sure you really want to know. Let’s see . . . I start my days at about 7 am and end them around 10 pm or 11 pm. In between that time I read emails from the SFC Team and contributors, review submissions, format Stories for Children Magazine and SFC Newsletter for Writers, work on my personal writing, clean my house, do homework with my kids, spend time chatting about our day with my hubby, and anything else you can think of.

3. How do you manage to get everything accomplished?

My calendar. No, really! I have everything written down on my calendar and ticklers (email reminders) in the SFC calendar. This is the only way I stay on track and try not to overlook anything. With so many divisions in SFC and my own personal writing career, it’s very important that I don’t let anything slip through the cracks. I also have a great SFC Team that really helps support me and gets a lot of the big and little projects done I just don’t have time to do. I know I wouldn’t be able to do all that I do today if it wasn’t for all of them.

4. Do you have any time-saving management tips you use and would like to share?

Yes. Make a schedule and do your best to stick to it. What I do first is make a “To Do” list. I then look to see how many things are listed. If there are, say, twelve things listed that need to get done that week, I list the most important things on Monday or the day they need to be done by. I then try to break up the workload among the days of that week so that the work isn’t as overwhelming. So basically with twelve things to do, I would end up with about two things each day I need to get done before I can move to the next two things and so on.
When you see your “To Do” list like this, you realize you can get it all done.

5. How do you like to relax? Or do you?

I do take time to relax, even if it’s only for ten minutes some days. LOL. Getting time for yourself is very important. If you don’t take some time for yourself, you’ll get run-down, and you won’t be at the top of your game each day. I use to sell body products years ago, and I remember one of my bestselling techniques was letting women know they need to take time for themselves even if it was for ten minutes in a bubble bath. Needless to say, I sold lots of bubble baths. LOL.

When I relax, I either watch TV with my hubby and/or kids or read. Sometimes I cook or go visit family and friends. It just depends what the day is like and how active I want to be.

6. What advice can you give other moms?

Take time for yourself. Don’t feel bad about it. You need that time to recharge. Also, break your errands for the week into days. List only two to four errands a day. That way you have time to really spend meaningful time with your kids and do fun activities with them, such as playing a game, reading a book together, or making cookies, just to name a few ideas.

7. Anything else you’d like to share?

I really can’t think of anything else right now. I guess I’m overworked already!

Here are the links for Ms. Grenier:

Founder & Owner, Stories for Children Publishing, LLC
http://storiesforchildrenpublishing.com/

Editor-in-Chief, Stories for Children Magazine
a division of Stories for Children Publishing, LLC
http://storiesforchildrenmagazine.org/

SFC Newsletter for Writers
Voted one of the 101 Best Websites for Writers by Writer’s Digest 2009
http://storiesforchildrenpublishing.com/SFCNewsletterforWriters.aspxoriesforchildrenpublishing.com/SFCNewsletterforWriters.aspx

VS Grenier, Author Website
http://www.vsgrenier.com/
Babysitting SugarPaw
“Recommend it for children who will have their first babysitter soon and also for someone who is going to be a babysitter for the first time.” ~MommyPR.com

~Motivated Moms~
Moms Helping Moms Work From Home
http://www.motivatedmoms.net/vsgrenier

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE

*Stories for Children Publishing, LLC. (SFC) and its divisions do not receive any compensation for product reviews beyond a sample and/or limited access to a paid website. SFC donates all books sent for review to a charitable organization. SFC may do a contest or giveaway of samples we receive.