By: Wendy Dickson
What You Need:
½ cup margarine (1 stick)
¼ cup vegetable shortening
1 cup sugar
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups unsifted flour
1 tsp salt
Egg Yolk Paint (see below)
Small artist paintbrushes
Instructions as Easy as 1-2-3:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large bowl combine butter, shortening, and sugar.
3. Add eggs, almond extract, and vanilla extract.
4. Beat well until smooth.
5. Add flour and mix until you have a smooth dough.
6. Chill for one hour.
7. Divide the dough into three balls. Work with one ball at a time. Leave remaining dough in the refrigerator.
8. On a floured surface, roll out dough to 3/16-inch thickness.
9. Cut out cookies with heart-shaped cookie cutters (or whatever seasonal cookie cutters you desire).
10. Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
11. Repeat with remaining dough.
12. Using Egg Yolk Paint, decorate your cookies.
13. Bake until cookies are golden brown at edges, 8-10 minutes.
14. Makes about 30 cookies.
Egg Yolk Paint
For each color you want to use, mix one egg yolk with ½ tsp water in a small bowl. Tint with liquid or paste food coloring. If your “paint” is too thick, thin with a few drops of water.
Whether they’re a gift for someone special or just for you and your family to munch on, these cookies are a lot of fun to make!