Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Meet Educational SFC Writer Alice Knisley Matthias

Welcome the Educational writer for SFC magazine and blog. We are thrilled to have Alice as part of the SFC team.

Meet
Educational SFC Writer Alice Knisley Matthias

It seems appropriate to begin this new experience of joining the SFC team as the
education writer in the month of October since as a mother I feel like the
September slide into October is when we sharpen our pencils, rummage through
the clothes bins to see what may (please!) still fit and focus on tackling new
topics in school.  After the summer months of feeling care free in flip-flops
and eating too many hot dogs the time inevitably comes to post school schedules
on the bulletin board in the kitchen and start a new school year of exciting
topics.
 

My background is in the arts and education.  I have a BA in Musical Theater
as well as a Master’s degree in Elementary Education and my children are in
third grade and preschool.  My interests include gardening and cooking and
I write a food column for a newspaper.  I am involved in my children’s
schools and we have a bookcase in every room of the house overflowing with
reading material.  

When it came time to looking at preschools for my first child, I did my homework
like any parent.  My son and I liked to walk our dog through the grounds
of our cultural center just around the corner from our home and one clear
spring day he spotted a group of children walking and holding a colorful fabric
rope that ran the length of about twenty children with a teacher at the front
of the line reminding them to keep their eyes on her.  When I told him the
children were from a school located on the grounds he declared “This is where I
want to go to school!”  Lucky for him that the adult criteria I used to
assess the school brought me to the same conclusion.  Before I knew it, I
was at that same door with my younger boy wearing the same jacket his brother
wore and greeting the same teacher. 
 

Some of the best information and perspectives comes from other parents and
caregivers sharing their experiences.  The most important parenting lesson
that I have confirmed is that you can send your child to the most expensive
school or the one with the most impressive statistics but at the end of the day
if there isn’t someone following up, checking homework and trying to be
involved in what a child is learning it is all for naught. 

Our children grow up so fast and it is essential for parents and caregivers to be a
part of what children are learning and how they are learning it.
Education isn’t just the curriculum in school.  Learning is everywhere,
all the time.  I look forward to all there is to share about children and
education on the Families Matters blog.  To quote Buzz Lightyear from the
Toy story movies that my boys repeated like a mantra all summer; “to infinity…
and beyond!”

Be well, 

Alice

2 comments:

  1. Welcome, Alice! Excellent first post! I particularly thank you for including, "The most important parenting lesson
    that I have confirmed is that you can send your child to the most expensive
    school or the one with the most impressive statistics but at the end of the day
    if there isn’t someone following up, checking homework and trying to be
    involved in what a child is learning it is all for naught." This is a great, far-too-often-missed point. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too want to welcome Alice, Great post and encouragement for parents to become more involved in all aspects of their child's education and activities. Good to have you as part of the team here and looking forward to more great posts.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE

*Stories for Children Publishing, LLC. (SFC) and its divisions do not receive any compensation for product reviews beyond a sample and/or limited access to a paid website. SFC donates all books sent for review to a charitable organization. SFC may do a contest or giveaway of samples we receive. SFC does not review any samples sent without a request for review to the Blog Editor, VS Grenier. SFC's staff members will not return unauthorized samples to the senders, but will donate them without review.