Thursday, November 11, 2010

Interview with Sean McCartney: Author of The Treasure Hunters Club Series


Interview with Sean McCartney
Author of The Treasure Hunters Club: Book 1 Secrets of the Magical Medallions
www.treasurehuntersclubbook.com


Can you share with us about your background and how you became a children's book author?

I have been a middle school teacher for the last thirteen years but I never really got into writing novels until about eight years ago. As a teacher I found that many kids did not like or even want to read. I wanted to create a novel series that kids would want to be a part of and enjoy.

Can you share with us about your current book Secrets of the Magical Medallions which is the first book in The Treasure Hunters Club series?

The story is about Tommy Reed and his treasure hunting friends, Shannon McDougal, Chris Henderson and Jackson Miller, who are sent a medallion and have to figure out the secret behind it before an ancient evil hunts them down.

What was it like working with your publisher through the whole process?

Excellent. Mountainland Publishing is a small outfit out of Utah but they have been nothing but terrific with me and the book. Working with a small publisher you get such great attention, but the draw back is little money for promotion and that tends to hurt.

How did you get the idea for Secrets of the Magical Medallions?

I wanted to create a story with the mystery of the Hardy Boys and the action and adventure of Indiana Jones and National Treasure. The more I thought about the story I felt a medallion was something that had some pizzazz and mystery to it.

 What is a typical writing day like for you?

I usually write from 10-12 at night. I get most of my work done during that time but I always have my outline notebook with me just in case I have a thought or idea I want to incorporate into the story so I can write it down.

What do you enjoy most about writing for children?

The research that goes into my novels. I like to think, as a teacher, I am able to put some history and factual knowledge in my stories that kids would enjoy and also be able to learn something.

What is the most difficult part of writing for children?

Days when the words don’t come easily. Some days it flows from your mind to the pencil and onto the paper and other days it’s like getting blood from a stone. Those are times you just have to press through and know that it won’t last.

Do you make school visits? If so, please describe a typical school presentation.

I love to do school visits. The first thing I do is ask the teacher if there is anything she or he would like me to emphasize during my presentation. Then I incorporate that into my talk about the writing process. I always tell students and stress to them the importance of editing and rewriting because your first draft usually isn’t gold. I also show my book trailer videos. I always have a giveaway, either a shirt with the book cover on it or give every kid a chap book. A chap book is simply some of my writing in booklet form. I usually create a short story using the characters from the book to help introduce the kids to them.

Where can our readers go online to learn more about you and your book(s) and to order?

The easiest place to find the book is through Amazon.com. You can also order directly from my publisher at www.mountainlandpublishing.com.  My website www.treasurehuntersclubbook.com has free short stories and extra book trailers for people to see.

What are you working on right now?

I am working on Book #2 of The Treasure Hunters Club series.

What is your best tip for aspiring authors?

It sounds cliché: read, read and read some more. Start to get an understanding of how people write by reading and eventually take pieces of someone’s style and then make it your own.

2 comments:

  1. So great to have you here as an FG Sean. You're book is really good. Looking forward to reading the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome interview, I hope parents put this series on their Christmas lists this year. What a great way to spend the holiday by reading an adventure like this.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE

*Stories for Children Publishing, LLC. (SFC) and its divisions do not receive any compensation for product reviews beyond a sample and/or limited access to a paid website. SFC donates all books sent for review to a charitable organization. SFC may do a contest or giveaway of samples we receive. SFC does not review any samples sent without a request for review to the Blog Editor, VS Grenier. SFC's staff members will not return unauthorized samples to the senders, but will donate them without review.