Friday, November 26, 2010

Review of Gulliver's Travels

Review By David Broughton

Title: Gulliver's Travels
ISBN: 978-0-14-311911-1
Published by Penguin Group
Suggested Retail: $14 USD $19 CAN
290 pages, trade paperback

On the eve of a new movie release based on Gulliver's Travels I was asked to review the book being re-released to coincide with the new Jack Black movie. I accepted the challenge fully expecting to receive a modernized, cannibalized carcass of the original work. When the book arrived, I was surprised and delighted to see it's the entire work in its original form.  However, now I had a dilemma on my hands: What does one say about a true classic masterwork that has survived for centuries? As I began re-reading the book I hadn't read in better than thirty years, I was still in a quandary as to what this usually less than humble reviewer could say about a brilliant masterwork that hadn't been said hundreds of times before. The fact is, I can't improve on what was said before, but I could remind people of the enjoyment such a book can bring to the reader. In this soundbite world, I imagine few have read and enjoyed the original work. Avid readers know what the rest of the world seems to have forgotten, the pure joy of a brilliant masterwork. Granted, I have enjoyed the many previous movies based on Gulliver's Travels and fully expect to enjoy the new Jack Black movie, but having been on movie sets, and in the cutting room, I know that a movie can rarely do a complete novel justice, unless they want to make a movie six to eight hours long. For time reasons, it simply isn't possible to include everything in a movie that's in a book. I urge everyone that enjoys a great story to both get and enjoy the book version of Gulliver's Travels, and go see the movie, but not necessarily in that order. Enjoy the book for the literary masterwork it is, and the movie for the comedic genius that is Mr. Black.

3 comments:

  1. I actually thought Jack Black was cool. This film looks pretty hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.
    Flights to Addis Ababa
    Cheap Flights to Addis Ababa
    Cheap Air Tickets to Addis Ababa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just what I was looking for. I think it could also be useful for everyone to know how and where to fill a form online. Maybe you would be interested in an online service http://goo.gl/HfPFfE with a ton of Form templates (tax, real estate, legal, business, insurance forms, etc..) I used it to fill out .

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE

*Stories for Children Publishing, LLC. (SFC) and its divisions do not receive any compensation for product reviews beyond a sample and/or limited access to a paid website. SFC donates all books sent for review to a charitable organization. SFC may do a contest or giveaway of samples we receive.