Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Happy New Year From Tyke and Stanley

Welcome to 2011! Tyke and I would like to extend to everyone warm wishes for a happy, healthy and plentiful new year. The dawning of each year brings new beginnings and opportunities to improve our world and ourselves.  What are your goals for the new year? What do you resolve to start or change? Here in storyville, Tyke and I have made two resolutions. First, we want to read as many quality stories, poems and books as we can. Second, we want to share our love of literacy and learning with our readers.

Resolutions are personal promises and goals. There is no better time to set a goal as the beginning of a new year. Children and adults of every age can resolve to make a change. Here are a few examples of simple resolutions for children:

-I will brush my teeth twice a day
-I will clean up my toys before I go to bed
-I will say “please” and “thank you”
-I will finish my homework everyday
-I will be kind to my family and friends
-I will eat all of my vegetables at dinner
-I will take the dog for a walk every day
-I will try to make a new friend
-I will drink more water or milk
-I will read (or be read to) for 20 minutes each day

Have your child choose one or two resolutions for this year. Make them simple, measureable and attainable. Share your resolution with them. Enjoy the family time and the opportunity to bond and grow with your child.

Parenting Tip:

Introduce the concept of goal setting and resolutions. Record the resolutions of your family. Visit these goals often and support each other in the quest to attain them. Below are a few book titles that may be of interest.

Squirrel’s New Year’s Resolution by Pat Miller
Shanté Keys and the New Year's Peas by Gail Piernas-Davenport
This Next New Year by Janet S. Wong

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Stanley and Tyke. Good advice for making the New Year healthy and safe.


    Terri

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE

*Stories for Children Publishing, LLC. (SFC) and its divisions do not receive any compensation for product reviews beyond a sample and/or limited access to a paid website. SFC donates all books sent for review to a charitable organization. SFC may do a contest or giveaway of samples we receive.