Sunday, January 30, 2011

Review of Your Mommy Was Just Like You


Reviewed By David Broughton

Your Mommy Was Just Like You

Author:         Kelly Bennett

Illustrator:    David Walker

Publisher:     G.P. Putnam's Sons
                     An imprint of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.

Pub Date:     March 2011

ISBN            978-0-399-24798-9

Retail Price   $16.99 (Hardcover)

Ages:             4-8 and Mommies of all ages.

Pages:            32


When asked to do a review of Your Mommy Was Just Like You, I was excited and could hardly wait for the book to arrive. I have reviewed a number of Kelly Bennett's books. Because they're always fun and interesting I look forward to seeing the next one. When I received the galleys for this book, I wasn't as pleased as I usually am. Don't get me wrong, Your Mommy Was Just Like You is a well written, funny book with a message and great artwork; but it didn't do all that much for me. The wife picked up and read it, then couldn't stop talking about how good it was. I didn't see it, but then I was never a little girl, or a mommy or grandmother. You see, the book tells a story about a grandmother telling her daughter's child all about how her mother was once a young girl just like you. My wife, now a grandmother herself, thought Your Mommy Was Just Like You was right on target, poignant, yet still fun. The ending was something she really liked. As my wife, Linda, carefully read the book to me and explained how she felt about every line and bit of artwork, I came to understand that Your Mommy Was Just Like You was written from the heart, to little girls and mommies everywhere. If you have a little girl, or a mommy, get Your Mommy Was Just Like You. No matter what the age of your mother, I can't think of a more appropriate present for Mother's Day. Oh, don't forget one for granny, if you have one, she'll love it too.  Oh, by the way, I better add thanks to Linda for helping me get the idea of this book: Thanks, Linda!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE

*Stories for Children Publishing, LLC. (SFC) and its divisions do not receive any compensation for product reviews beyond a sample and/or limited access to a paid website. SFC donates all books sent for review to a charitable organization. SFC may do a contest or giveaway of samples we receive. SFC does not review any samples sent without a request for review to the Blog Editor, VS Grenier. SFC's staff members will not return unauthorized samples to the senders, but will donate them without review.