Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Interview with Steve Cormey

Please Welcome Author Steve Cormey. 




What inspired you to write?



I have always loved music and songs. Lyrics that tell a story and then put to music have always been what I have tried to achieve and into my writing. Some songs without music can still be a poem or a story. Those are my favorites.



Do you consider yourself a born writer?



No. I have always liked to read books and when I first started writing songs the music came easily and the lyrics were difficult. Later on, it became the opposite and the words and stories came before the music. Of course, the best songs come when the two visit you at the same time.



Have you ever suffered from writer’s block?



Yes. I used to worry about it but now I know that someday when I least expect it… thoughts will start flowing again. There might be writers out there that are under some kind of deadline. I am lucky in that I can take a walk into the mountains and leave it all behind. Of course, I always have a pen and notebook to jot something down if the mood strikes me.



Have you had any training to become a writer?




No. ( just the school of 'Hard Knocks).



What type of books do you mostly write?



I’ve written many songs but only the one children’s book and a sequel to that so far. I do have an outline for a history of my 40 years on my home planet of Grand Lake ( as I recall the years I‘ve spent here) or maybe you might just call it… my memoirs .



What is the most difficult part of writing?



I suppose that would be finding the inspiration. As I stated before, I am mostly a songwriter and I love to write about the people I’ve met and the places I’ve been.



What well known writers do you admire most?




Music: Pat Conroy, Faulkner, Hemingway and Jimmy Buffett

Book: Mark Twain, Hans Christian Anderson, Lewis Carroll, Robert Louis Stevenson, Rudyard Kipling, Beatrix Potter, A.A. Milne and of course, Dr. Seuss



What voice do you find most to your liking?



The little voice in my head that comes to me in my dreams and hopefully speaks English.

I usually write in the third person. I like being the observer of the events.



What is your creative process like? What happens before sitting down to write?



I never know. Today, it’s a Vegemite sandwich and a glass of wine.



Do you do first drafts on a computer or by hand?



Most of the time, I write my thoughts down on paper ( a notebook, scrap paper but mostly bar napkins). Then I go to the computer and try and make some sense of it all. After that, I print it out, read it and hope I don’t have too many ’spell check’ errors. If it works, I save it to look at the next day and decide to keep it or not. If it doesn’t, I forget about it and go to the bar! (remember… Hemingway, Faulkner, Buffett and don’t forget Keith Richards).

Thanks for being here and answering the tough questions we ask. It is always great to learn how other successful authors handle the writing and creative process.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see the writing perspective from the eyes of a songwriter/musician. After all it is all art!
    Ronnie Roo. Oh and love the bit about the Vegemite sandwich.........

    We're happy little Vegemites
    We're happy as can be
    we all enjoy our Vegemites for breakfast lunch and tea
    because we LOVE our Vegemites
    We all ENJOY our Vegemites
    It puts a rose in every cheek!......

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE

*Stories for Children Publishing, LLC. (SFC) and its divisions do not receive any compensation for product reviews beyond a sample and/or limited access to a paid website. SFC donates all books sent for review to a charitable organization. SFC may do a contest or giveaway of samples we receive.