Monday, May 16, 2011

World of Ink Interview with Award-winning Author Lisa Umina


Lisa Umina, owner of Halo Publishing International, not only publishes books but also enjoys a successful career as an award-winning author, motivational speaker and literary consultant. Umina´s publishing company continues to flourish by strengthening the movement of words across the international borders in order to benefit cultures and society as a whole. She has been interviewed by countless newspapers, radio and and television shows and has traveled the world to teach children about their purpose and important life lessons inside her books.

Tell us a little bit about your background and how you became a children's book
author.

I was in sales at The Wall Street Journal and also did promotional work when I worked at the non-profit, University Settlement. These careers definitely allowed me to tap into my people skills and I believe this has helped me as a publisher when I am seeking to bring in new authors to Halo and promoting author shows. I would have to say my inspiration for my book writing mostly comes from my faith and my personal life experiences.


Tell us about your current book. Give a short summary, tell us about your publisher,
and also how you got the idea for this book.
 

Award-Winning, Milo and the Green Wagon was based on a true story. When I was younger, my brother and I garbage picked an old wagon and went around the neighborhood collecting food for the people in need.
Milo and his friends find an old, discarded green wagon and decide to fix it up and use it to collect food and clothing for those who need them. This story is about generosity, selflessness and, most importantly, about love and respect.


I am the publisher of my own books through my company, Halo Publishing International. I started this company 10 years ago to help other authors publish their legacy.
 

What is a typical writing day like for you? 
The Milo series was recently purchased nationally at all Liverpool department stores in Mexico. My typical day is visiting the stores and promoting the books and puzzles.

What do you enjoy most about writing for children? 
I enjoy bringing the books to life through my shows at schools.
 

What is the most difficult part of writing for children? 
I don’t have a difficult part when writing for children. It comes natural for me.
 

Tell us about the marketing process for authors. What do you do to market and sell
your books?
 

The best way I market my books is to do something every day towards promoting the books using social media and through my author shows at schools.
 

Do you make school visits? If so, please describe a typical school presentation.
I currently have two school programs. The first is a K- 8th grade program that teaches children they have a purpose. Based on my book Milo and the Green Wagon, Milo and I teach children about generosity, selflessness and, most importantly, about love and respect for all people, no matter what their stature in
life. The second is a K- 4th Grade program called Talk to God, Anytime, Anywhere about Anything. I use 11 different character voices to represent all the characters in my Milo Finds His Best Friend book, along with sound effects.


They are both fun programs and seem to really draw the children in to the underlying lesson I’m trying to teach.
 

Do you have a website? If so, please give the URL. If not, where can listeners go
online to learn more about your books and to order?
 

http://www.halopublishing.com

What are you working on right now? 

The next book for the Milo series...

What is your best tip for aspiring children's book authors?
Look for a publisher that you can talk to; that is, one who listens, will give you ideas and feedback and will hold your hand through the entire process. You want someone interested in publishing your book but also someone who is interested in the mission and message of your book. There’s a big difference.


Thanks for sharing some fun information about yourself and your writing. Next on the tour will be a guest post: Writing Faith Based Books for Children at http://thewritingmama.blogspot.com/



 You can follow Milo and Lisa all month in May during their World of Ink Virtual Tour at http://storiesforchildrenpublishing.com/LisaUmina.aspx

2 comments:

PLEASE NOTE

*Stories for Children Publishing, LLC. (SFC) and its divisions do not receive any compensation for product reviews beyond a sample and/or limited access to a paid website. SFC donates all books sent for review to a charitable organization. SFC may do a contest or giveaway of samples we receive.