Friday, November 4, 2011

Interview: Children's Author- Jan Britland

Help me welcome children's author, Jan Britland to the blog today.
One of the books in The Rodger Dodger Dog Series.




1. Welcome, Jan. Tell us a little bit about your background and how you became an author.

As I drove my children to school I used to make up stories to entertain them on the long ride. We would pass a dog chained to a tree I started to make up stories about him. Some days he would be up the tree. I called him Rodger Dodger Dog. My daughter who is grown asked me to write the stories down so she could share them with her children. One thing led to another and they now are The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog.




2. Tell us about your current book. Give a short summary, tell us about your publisher, and also how you got the idea for this book.

 The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog, Rodger Saves Bunny. Rodger finds Bunny passed out in the woods. He knows this can’t be good. He takes Bunny home to nurse him back to health. When Bunny wakes up Rodger finds out Bunny is terrified of him. What happens next even Rodger didn’t see coming. Written in rhyme with action-packed illustrations it is sure to delight your child.


3. What is a typical writing day like for you?

I write when an idea comes to me. When it happens it plays like a cartoon in my head. I just write down what I see. I have to finish the story or I lose the flow of the rhyme.



4. What do you enjoy most about writing?

 I love the way the stories come together. There are times I don’t see where they are going and the end is a surprise. It is all very entertaining.



5. What is the most difficult part of writing?

Waiting for my next inspiration I never know when it will come. I keep a recorder ready at all times.



6. Do you make school visits or do speaking/book signing engagements? If so, please describe a typical presentation.

 When I do a school appearance I also have a super-sized Rodger Dodger Dog with me. When the children come into the room I tell them who I am and that I am an author and what that means. I explain what an illustrator does and what a publisher does. I then tell them when I arrived at the school I had my dog with me. I ask them all to call out Rodger Dodger Dog where are you. With his theme song playing Rodger arrives in the classroom and does a little dance. I then tell the children Rodger is going to be helping me while I read the book. I then read the book and after I am done the children get to meet Rodger Dodger Dog . Depending on which story or stories we read that day we may have some parting dialogue about the story.

7. Is there any book that, when you read it, you thought, "I wish I had written that!"?

There are many, but of course Harry Potter comes to mind. It is not the story concept it is the details that absolutely are mind boggling to me. I love it.



8. Do you have a website?

If so, please give the URL. If not, where can readers go online to learn more about your book(s) and to order? www.rodgerdodgerdog.com

http://www.amazon.com/ http://www.barnesandnoble.com/



9. What are you working on right now?

Right now I am working on writing a screenplay for The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog, animated cartoon series. I am planning to pitch it to animation companies early next year.



10. What is your best tip for aspiring authors?

Keep writing and follow your heart.





11. What advice would you give children and teens as they prepare for life?

 Listen to your parents and do the best you can do. No one can ask for more.



12. Is there anything else you would like to share with our readership?

Children can go to www.rodgerdodgerdog.com and play the Help Rodger Find His Friends Game. When they click on a hiding friend an animal fact pops up about that particular animal.

They can also view The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog, 1st book trailer at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex9BkymlPTk



Thank you for having me on today.


You can find out more about Jan Britland’s World of Ink Author/Book Tour schedule at http://storiesforchildrenpublishing.com/RodgerDodger.aspx. There will be giveaways, reviews, interviews, guest posts and more. Make sure to stop by and interact with Britland and the hosts at the different stops by leaving comments and/or questions.

In addition, come listen to Blog Talk Radio’s World of Ink Network show: Stories for Children at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/worldofinknetwork. The hosts VS Grenier, Kris Quinn Chirstopherson and Irene Roth will be chatting with Jan Britland about her books, writing, the publishing industry and experiences with virtual tours. Britland will also be sharing writing tips and trials, and tribulations of the writer’s life. The show will be live November 28, 2011 at 2pm EST.





VS Grenier - Founder, Stories for Children Publishing, LLC

http://storiesforchildrenpublishing.com/



World of Ink Author/Book Tours (Book Your World of Ink Tour Today)

http://storiesforchildrenpublishing.com/WorldofInkTours.aspx



SFC Newsletter for Writers - Voted one of the 101 Best Websites for Writers by Writer's Digest 2009

http://www.blogger.com/goog_2118436061



Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/sfcpublishing


Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stories-for-Children-Magazine/101731646536813

1 comment:

PLEASE NOTE

*Stories for Children Publishing, LLC. (SFC) and its divisions do not receive any compensation for product reviews beyond a sample and/or limited access to a paid website. SFC donates all books sent for review to a charitable organization. SFC may do a contest or giveaway of samples we receive.