Monday, December 12, 2011

Interview with author K.S. Krueger

Although her background has been in business, K.S. Krueger has always loved to write. She has written poetry and several children’s stories originally for her eldest daughter. Kim enjoys the idea of seeing the world through the eyes of her imagination and finds herself submerged in the worlds she creates. Imagination has never been in short supply ever since she was a child.

Because her series rides a fine line between fantasy and reality, it calls each reader to decide for themselves if they BELIEVE!  Kim has always believed that when you find something you truly love to do, even if you think it is just a dream, find your passion, the gift that is within you, believe in yourself and follow that dream. “Let yourself be open to the possibilities that await. You never know where they might take you.”

Kim is a wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend. She is a writer, businesswoman, Reiki practitioner and spiritual person. She loves animals, nature and kids. Kim has lived in the Suburbs of Chicago all her life. She is creative and always tries to foster creativity in her own children as well as in others. She is the author of Traegonia The Sunbow Prophecy and Traegonia The Ember Rune. 

Tell us a little bit about your background and how you became an author.

I am a wife and mother. My background has been in Retail management and business. I have always loved to write, although I did much of my early writing as a hobby, for myself and for my children. I have also always had a very vivid imagination which makes me seem a little strange to some and lots of fun to others; my kids go back and forth on this, mostly they think I am totally fun and crazy. I became an author because I fell in love with the sculptures and who I saw them to be and then I saw the potential in creating and building Traegonia into a brand, a world and a household name and besides the Traegons told us we could tell others about them.


Tell us about your current book. Give a short summary; tell us about your publisher, and also how you got the idea for this book.

I speak about my current project as a series because it already has two books published and we are working on the third. The first book is about an average young boy from the Midwest who loves to explore the woods and forests near his home. His mother tells him about the many creatures that live in the forest including those that we don’t necessarily see. The boy, Dino, decides he will find one of these creatures and of course he does or maybe I should say they find him. The story and series build on this friendship between a human and two 16” tall Traegon’s. Now, Traegons are small forest dwelling creatures who resemble a cross between a troll and a wingless dragon. They have lived on Earth for time immemorial, but only show themselves to those who would not do them harm and to those who Believe. Even though Traegons look somewhat frightening, Dino, looks past that and decides to get to know them and they find that as fate would have it, they were actually meant to cross paths. Traegonia the Sunbow Prophecy is a bit of an introduction to Traegons and how Dino, Karia and Juna met as well as their adventures and why they were meant to come together. The first book takes place in Illinois and the second book Traegonia the Ember Rune, continues their adventures, taking Karia, Juna and Dino to California where they meet two young human girls and a whole new community of Traegons. Because Traegons live anywhere there is Earth, land and places where they can hide and remain undiscovered, Traegons are all over the world.  Each book in the series will take our three main characters to a new place and introduce us to other real creatures that are protected and endangered in that area. I invite you to visit our website to see the book trailer for Traegonia the Sunbow Prophecy, and other sightings of the Traegons. http://www.worldoftraegonia.com/sightings/  

The series was inspired by the sculptures created by a friend of mine Dino C. Crisanti. These sculptures are the life-size reproduction of Traegons. It was the Traegons themselves who gave us permission to tell their story. Do you believe? 

We chose to self-publish our series with Outskirts Press, because we have the sculptures, and other product to go along with the books and we didn’t want to wait. Looking for a traditional publisher is a long and arduous task and you still may not find a publisher to pick you up. I believe that if you believe you can accomplish something and are willing to work hard to make it happen, anything is possible. We have sold nearly 2000 books since we published our first in June 2009 and continue moving forward with big goals and lots of creative ideas.

What is a typical writing day like for you?

I make a plan to write in advance and put it on my schedule, or other things will inevitably come up. I get the kids up, dressed, fed and off to school and then I pour a cup of coffee and take myself to my sunroom. The sunroom has lots of windows so I have lots of natural light to work by.  I always have to reread to see exactly where I left off the last time but then I just let my mind wander to where they are and what I had been planning for days. Sometimes I will have notes that I jotted down between the last time I was writing and this time, so I might quickly review them or maybe do a little research. But most of the time I do the research prior to my actual writing time so I can dedicate as many hours as possible to just writing.

What do you enjoy most about writing?

I most enjoy the art of creating, before I ever begin to write I am watching scenes of the story play out in my mind. I am drawing from things around me and weaving it together, and then I can hardly wait to put it on paper. I love this process and it works well for me.

What is the most difficult part of writing?

The most difficult part of writing, for me, is just finding the time to dedicate to it. I do not get to write every day so when I do plan a day to write I have to get my head back into the story. I usually look forward to writing so much that I am thinking about what I am going to write at least two days ahead.

Do you make school visits or do speaking/book signing engagements? If so, please describe a typical presentation.

I love doing school and library visits. I bring seven sculptures of the characters, which always intrigue the audience. I give a bit of the background of the characters and how the series came to be. I always gear my presentation to the grade level I am presenting to. I talk about inspiration, finding your passion and believing in yourself, these being the some of the messages in the book series. I am working on a new middle grade presentation that incorporates the six pillars of character and how they can be found within the book series. Whether I am doing a full presentation or just a signing I always bring the sculptures and answer questions.    

Is there any book that, when you read it, you thought, "I wish I had written that!"?

I have a great respect for the writings of so many different authors and am so many times amazed at the incredible ideas that others come up with. If I would say that, it would be more about the success that an author’s work has achieved and I would only hope to be able to also achieve that kind of success with my own work. J.K. Rowling is an example of that kind of success, although only she could create the world that she did, kudos to her.

Do you have a website? If so, please give the URL. If not, where can readers go online to learn more about your book(s) and to order?



What are you working on right now?

I have been very busy promoting Traegonia the Ember Rune as it just released this last August. We do at least two arts and craft shows a month, plus school and library visits. I have been sending out books for review and preparing for the two Pump Up You Books Tours, I also continue to send query’s to Literary agents and publishers and seek out additional ways to promote the Traegonia series. I have started recording for the audio books of the first two Traegonia books and have written 27 pages of our third book. I wish I had more time to dedicate to just writing.

What is your best tip for aspiring authors?

NEVER GIVE UP! If you believe, and I mean truly believe, in your project or story, you will work as hard as you can to see it through to the finish. I can say this with absolute certainty; If Traegonia, never goes further than where Dino and I take it to, it will not be from lack of trying and no one knows how long something like this can take. But I have had so much fun and accomplished one of my dreams and made others, smile, read, become inspired and try and that in its-self is awesome. Try hard, work hard, strive for greatness, but also be happy with what you do and have done.

What advice would you give children and teens as they prepare for life?

You can do anything you want to as long as you want it bad enough and are willing to work hard for it. The only things that hold us back are our fear and ourselves. Love what you do and it will never feel like work.

Is there anything else you would like to share with our readership?

We are very excited to announce that our sculpture sales have really begun to pick up. Yes, they are a bit pricey but they are all one-of-a-kind hand sculpted pieces and come with a certificate of authenticity. We had lots of fun when we raffled off one of these sculptures in August, the winner got to have a sculpture created in her likeness or ‘essence’ and will be a character in our third book. You can view the sculpture and our winner on our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/World-Of-Traegonia/93885228559.  The raffle had such great response that we will be holding another next year, so if you would like to see what you might look like as a Traegon like us on Facebook and we will keep you updated when we have our next raffle. Thanks for having me, this was a lot of fun.


You can visit Kim’s website at www.WorldOfTraegonia.com and her blog at http://worldoftraegonia.wordpress.com/

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting Kim today. Her book just received a 5 star review today, so she's on a roll.

    Kim will be participating in our Facebook Party on Friday the 16th, where she'll be giving away two e-copies of the first book from this series. Details can be found at http://www.pumpupyourbook.com/2011/11/20/pump-up-your-books-1st-annual-holiday-extravaganza-facebook-chat-party/

    Wishing you and your readers a wonderful holiday season.

    Cheryl
    www.pumpupyourbook.com

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE

*Stories for Children Publishing, LLC. (SFC) and its divisions do not receive any compensation for product reviews beyond a sample and/or limited access to a paid website. SFC donates all books sent for review to a charitable organization. SFC may do a contest or giveaway of samples we receive.