Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Book Review: Princess Reborn, A Graphic Novel


Princess Reborn, A Graphic Novel
A review by David Broughton
  • Publisher: Lee Tidball; Writer; Original edition (February 23, 2007)
  • ISBN-10: 1424329191
  • ISBN-13: 978-1424329199
 
Princess Reborn, the graphic novel, is something new for my review process, the first graphic novel I've ever reviewed. In fact, I hadn't seen one in years, so I went out to compare Princess Reborn with other graphic novels. The story of a superhero from another world isn't a new idea, but it's presented in Princess in a fresh way. The story by author and educator Lee Tidball is adapted to the media from a screenplay. This seems to work well. After all, a graphic novel is the words on the page with art to show what's going on. This isn't my preferred genre, but I see hundreds of children's and YA books per year, so I know good writing when I see it. The writing in Princess is on par with the best. The art by Jim Jiminez and Jason De Campo exceeds my expectations. Princess Reborn is reminiscent of the days when these were called comic books, but is far better than the anything that was available back then, both in art and story.

It's time for a hero again -- Princess Reborn is she. Everything the younger set likes these days is in this novel, in some form. Super powers, futuristic vehicles, ominous villains, a werewolf, space travel, everything but a vampire, and I fully expect one of those to show up in the next episode.

I wouldn't have gone looking for this genre for my own reading, but I'm glad I got to review Princess Reborn. I enjoyed it immensely. It's a guilty pleasure to be sure, but a pleasure all the same. If you have pre-teens and up in your house, get this one for the strong values it teaches, or maybe just because it's fun. Princess Reborn is available wherever quality books and graphic novels are sold.

1 comment:

PLEASE NOTE

*Stories for Children Publishing, LLC. (SFC) and its divisions do not receive any compensation for product reviews beyond a sample and/or limited access to a paid website. SFC donates all books sent for review to a charitable organization. SFC may do a contest or giveaway of samples we receive. SFC does not review any samples sent without a request for review to the Blog Editor, VS Grenier. SFC's staff members will not return unauthorized samples to the senders, but will donate them without review.