Monday, April 15, 2013

Author Interview: Sarah E. Sauer

Sarah E. Sauer is a childhood brain cancer survivor. She is also an animal lover. Sarah’s love of animals was something she drew on for strength throughout her illness. In her first children’s book, Sarah shares her love and respect for wildlife animals through her photos she took for her high school digital photography class. Sarah is currently studying early childhood education and hopes to share her love and knowledge of animals to promote and develop an appreciation of wildlife in young children. She currently lives in Corydon, IN with her family and her horses, llamas, donkey, cats and dogs.
 
Tell us about your current book. Give a short summary.
My book has bright and colorful photos with a simple caption underneath the photos to encourage young children (between ages of 3 to 7/8 years) to see more than just the animal but to see the beauty and detail of each animal such as the smile on the elephant’s face or the tear in the horse’s eye.

Can you tell us about your publisher and how the process worked in getting published?
My publisher is Lisa Umina from Halo publishing. She is wonderful! She was so helpful, kind, generous and professional in giving me direction on getting a book published. I submitted my manuscript and photos along with directions for the background colors. Lisa helped me every step along the way with good advice and lots of encouragement. She felt the book would be best in hardcover and she was absolutely right. I feel my book looks amazing.

How did you get the idea for this book?
My high school digital photography teacher Ms. Iles told me that I had a talent for telling a story through my pictures. I wasn’t quite sure how I could do that until I received an assignment for my early childhood class. I had to create something to show how I saw my goals and myself for my career. I decided to share my love of animals, and promote and develop an appreciation of wildlife in young children by creating a children’s book using my photography.

What do you enjoy most about writing?
Being able to share my thoughts and ideas with others.

What is the most difficult part of writing?
For me, because of the weakness in my hands that was caused by the brain cancer, it is actually the physical part of trying to write or type.

How has publishing a book changed your life?
It has given me more confidence in myself. It has helped me be able to take all the bad things that cancer did to me and turn it into something good. I hope that I can inspire other people to not let things that happen to them cause them to give up but to keep on fighting and know that no matter what happens, we all have the choice to take something bad and turn it into something good.

What are your plans now?
I have started to write a simple chapter book for kids with cancer to help them and inspire them.

What is your best tip for aspiring authors?
To keep on writing, thank the teachers and those in your life who encouraged you to write and write about what you know and what interests you.

Is there anything else you would like to share with our readership?
I hope that my book will encourage others to write. I hope that with my book I can give encouragement to people who have cancer and their families and that with my book, I hope to be able to give back to those who believed in me and helped me by donating some of the proceeds from my book to those groups that helped me.

Where can readers go online to learn more about your book and to order?
My book can be ordered through Halo Publishing or Amazon.com



Publisher website http://halopublishing.com/

Find out more about Sarah E. Sauer and her book at the World of Ink Author/Book Tour, visit http://tinyurl.com/carfswr

1 comment:

PLEASE NOTE

*Stories for Children Publishing, LLC. (SFC) and its divisions do not receive any compensation for product reviews beyond a sample and/or limited access to a paid website. SFC donates all books sent for review to a charitable organization. SFC may do a contest or giveaway of samples we receive.