Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Interview with Scott R. Caseley, Author of Isosceles



Q: Tell us about your current book. Give a short summary.

Sean McIntyre, a shy nineteen year old wakes up in the morning during Labor Day Weekend and finds his wild best friend Trey Goodsby dead in his bathroom after he had spent the night in his new apartment. During the subsequent chapters, the novel takes the reader on a journey through the thirteen year friendship that led up to this point and then goes into what effect his death has on Sean and those closest to the two boys. Madeline Edwards, a beautiful caring young lady who constantly came between them just may know a thing or two about what caused this tragedy to occur.

Q: Can you tell us about your publisher and how the process worked in getting published?

I submitted to MuseitUp in March of 2012, and was sent a message back from them the next day telling me that my submission materials would be reviewed and I would find out in ten to twelve weeks one way or another. Having been rejected by numerous other publishing companies and literary agencies I focused my attention on other aspects of my life. I began working on my voice-over lessons to strengthen that set of skills to audition for commercials, books on CD, etc. Then before I knew it, in far less than ten weeks, on April 13th, I received my contract with Muse. When I signed on, it was understood that I would be going through a rigorous editing process as all signed authors are, working with a content editor and a line editor to fine-tune my manuscript for publication. Along the way, a cover artist was assigned to create the look of my novel. Then, after working tirelessly with those three individuals, my book was released in January of 2013.

Q: How did you get the idea for this book?

A number of people around my age passed away when I was in my early twenties. I started to think about what does death mean for those left behind. I started to ask myself questions about how death affects us, and how we view people differently for some reason when they’re gone. I wanted to write out all my emotions about these circumstances, and I began writing it out, not holding back, just free writing. It was very cathartic. Slowly, characters began to emerge to tell the tale for me.

Q: What is a typical writing day like for you?

I start off the day composing notes about a new or existing story in a notepad or on my computer, after doing this for about an hour or so. Then I leave it to focus on getting some exercise in, either yoga or a 500-calorie walk on the treadmill. Then, I have some breakfast and make mental notes about my written notes. Afterward, I start to write something based on my notes: a scene, dialogue, or a poem. Then, I expand upon this for about a couple hours, have lunch, and maybe do another physical workout. Then I spend the rest of my day writing a draft of a scene based on what I wrote first thing in the morning.

Q: What do you enjoy most about writing?

Creating the characters that I want to make so real that I can feel them inhabiting space around me during the few months of the writing and revising process. I want to make them so dynamic that they’ll linger around in my readers’ minds long after they put the book down.

Q: What is the most difficult part of writing?

When my characters do something unexpected that doesn’t make sense to the work. They’ll be insistent that what’s going on will make the story better like it or not, I know I have to put it into the piece and show it to my editor. I know that she’ll find something in there that I didn’t and being the gifted person that she is, she’ll know how to help me see how to make the choices ‘they’ made be true, or know right away why they need to be taken out.

Q: How has publishing a book changed your life?

It’s given me the confidence to write the characters that have been locked away in my mind for years and give them some traits that I didn’t know would work before. My insecurity stood in my way for a long time, but now I feel I have been given validation I have what it takes to put together a story and maybe if I do it just right, there will be readers awaiting the time to come so that they can enter my literary world.

Q: What are your plans now?

I’m writing a romantic caper that takes place across New England based on several different story ideas I’ve had over several years. My main female protagonist was created six or seven years ago, and the male protagonist is loosely based on one that I created for a short story I wrote in the third grade.

Q: What is your best tip for aspiring authors?

Write your draft out, get it all out of your system, and then revise it a couple times. When you feel you have a good working draft, find an editor to look it over for you who can give you constructive feedback to improve it enough so you can submit it to literary agencies and publishing companies.

Q: Is there anything else you would like to share with our readership?

Sean McIntyre, Trey Goodsby, Madeline Edwards spend their childhood and young adulthood in central New England. They start off in a town called Noone, which has a population of only a few thousand people and go to an elementary school on Zoe Avenue that’s been there for many generations. Sean and Trey are part of the working middle class, while Madeline comes from one of the richest families in town. They spend their free time at a convenience store, a roller rink, a bowling alley, and do normal kid stuff. Their lives are not any different than what many of us go through, it’s how they go through it that makes them extraordinary as individuals and as the group that they are.

Q: Do you have a website? If so, please give the URL. If not, where can readers go online to learn more about your book(s) and to order?

I have two webpages, please like me at https://www.facebook.com/ScottRCaseleyWriter, and my blog is https://www.scottrcaseleyauthor.com. I’m also on Twitter @scottrcaseley, and you can email me at SRCaseley@gmail.com.
           
            Isosceles is available at the following pages:

MuseItUp Publishing
Amazon.com
Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble
Bookstrands
Koko
Smashwords

You can find out more about Scott R. Caseley, his novel and World of Ink Author/Book Tour at http://tinyurl.com/c85xoz4

1 comment:

PLEASE NOTE

*Stories for Children Publishing, LLC. (SFC) and its divisions do not receive any compensation for product reviews beyond a sample and/or limited access to a paid website. SFC donates all books sent for review to a charitable organization. SFC may do a contest or giveaway of samples we receive.