Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Interview with Author Arnold Rudnick



About the Author: ARNOLD RUDNICK has written for many television shows, including THE FRESH PRINCE OF BEL-AIR, STAR TREK: VOYAGER and THE NEW ADDAMS FAMILY.

Tell us about your current book. Give a short summary. (You can follow this up with any points you hope readers will take away with them)

LITTLE GREEN is about a small frog who wants to be special. He hops around asking “Isn’t it possible?” he can be a goose, horse or koi because of the cool things he sees them do. While the reader learns about animal groups, skills, sound and traits, Little Green learns (spoiler) that he has to be himself. All of the animal teachers say “anything is possible” but I think kids are too savvy to believe that and I believe “Almost anything is possible” is much more empowering. The addition of “almost” opens up dialogue on how to achieve our goals. I hope that one day, “Isn’t it possible?” is as recognized and inspiration as “I think I can” from THE LITTLE ENGINE THAT COULD.  It IS possible J.

Can you tell us about your publisher and how the process worked in getting published?

My boutique imprint Paraphrase, LLC published LITTLE GREEN, so I didn’t go through the traditional process. When self- or indie- publishing, I think it’s very important to work with professionals (illustrators, proofreaders, etc), to make the best product possible. I buy a lot of “traditional books” and find typos or other mistakes, but the review process usually weeds out a lot of issues that may affect readers.

How did you get the idea for this book? 

LITTLE GREEN evolved from a bedtime story I used to tell my daughter. I wrote another book (ESPete: Sixth Grade Sense) for middle graders, and I wanted to have a book for pre-schoolers to second grade, and the more I worked with LITTLE GREEN and my illustrator, Marcelo Gorenman, the more excited I became by the story and message of the book. 

What is a typical writing day like for you? 

My typical day is atypical. I work in accounting – which is why I enjoy the business part of publishing.  And I also write books and screenplays.  I make time to write.  When I’m busy, I usually end up writing more, because the writing time is more valuable. When I have all the time in the world (who has that?), I find I’m not as productive. But I am also thinking of ideas – current projects and new ones.  I write down the new ideas in hopes that they don’t distract me from my current project. That usually works.

What do you enjoy most about writing? 

I love thinking about concepts and characters.  I don’t know if that’s “writing” or creating, but the first drafts are usually the hardest for me. Once it’s on paper – anything is on paper – I love the process of rewriting. I have worked in film and television development, where I quickly learned that anything can be improved.  Some things take more editing than others, but that knowledge, helps me approach rewriting with an open mind.

What is the most difficult part of writing? 

It depends on the project. Conceptually, I think the hardest part of writing is all the choices.  Which project to write. Then, what characters or story to tell.  And in the story, what obstacles to throw in front of the hero and how the hero can get around those obstacles. There are so many choices to make. I love getting to make those choices, but sometimes it can be a challenge. I have learned there are no right or wrong answers, except no answer.

How has publishing a book changed your life? 

I don’t know that it has changed my life.  It is my life. Writing has been a part of me since I can remember. I love stories and words.  Now, I am working with other writers to develop their projects and publish or help them publish their books.  That inspires me greatly.

If your book is based on true events, how has that affected those around you or why made you choose to use historical events?

Little Green is, of course, a fictional character, but all books – good books – are based on Truth.  I am working on several other projects that are based on true events, but what appeals to me in any of them, are the universal truths, the things that we all can relate to.

What are your plans now? 

I am excited to share LITTLE GREEN. I have programs for non-profits that work with children, education and families to help them raise money with Little Green’s Big Green Initiative. I am also working on more projects, both books and film and television projects.

What is your best tip for aspiring authors? 

Write.  Then write some more.  It’s important to learn from each project and move on to another.  And depending on your goal with writing, it’s very important to share your work.  Find a support team who will read your projects and give you honest feedback.  Listen to that feedback, but remember, it’s just one opinion.  As a writer, we have to learn how our projects are read and consider that in our goals.

Is there anything else you would like to share with our readership? (Here you can share about characters, historical facts, setting or whatever else you would like our readers to know about your book.) 

If you enjoy LITTLE GREEN, please share it with family and friends. If you work with a school or non-profit, and would like to find out about free copies of LITTLE GREEN for non-profits, please e-mail books@paraphrasellc.com.

Do you have a website? If so, please give the URL. If not, where can readers go online to learn more about your book(s) and to order? 

For more information on LITTLE GREEN, visit isntitpossible.com or twitter @isntitpossible. You can also learn about my middle grade chapter book at espete.com, like me on FaceBook, or follow me on twitter @arnoldrudnick.


World of Ink Virtual Tour http://www.worldofinknetwork.com/arnold-rudnick-april-15.html

1 comment:

PLEASE NOTE

*Stories for Children Publishing, LLC. (SFC) and its divisions do not receive any compensation for product reviews beyond a sample and/or limited access to a paid website. SFC donates all books sent for review to a charitable organization. SFC may do a contest or giveaway of samples we receive.