Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Interview with Chantele Sedgwick, Author of Love, Lucas



Tell us about your current book. Give a short summary. 


LOVE, LUCAS is about a 17-year-old girl names Oakley, who is trying to recover from the loss of her older brother, Lucas. As she struggles with her depression, the book follows her journey of picking up the pieces of her life and putting them back together. There’s healing, first love and a journal full of letters Lucas left for her to help her find herself again. 

Can you tell us about your publisher and how the process worked in getting published? 

Sky Pony Press is amazing. My awesome agent, Nicole Resciniti, submitted LOVE, LUCAS to Nicole Frail and after a few months we got an offer. I’ve loved working with Sky Pony. They’ve seriously been so professional and kind. 

How did you get the idea for this book? 

I got the idea while I was waiting to pick up my kids from school. I had a letter come to me, a letter from an older brother to a younger sister, and I wrote it down. Then more letters came and it all flowed amazingly well after that. 

What is a typical writing day like for you? 

A typical writing day for me is chasing around 4 kids all day and getting time to sit down to write after they go to bed. I write from about 8:00-bedtime Mondays through Thursdays. So, not as much time as I’d like, but when the kids are older and all at school I’ll have a bit more free time to get things done.

What do you enjoy most about writing? 

I love words. I love putting them on the page and watching characters come to life. Each one is different and has their own story and I’m so happy I get to tell them. 

What is the most difficult part of writing? 

Picking which idea to start and finish. I have so many, it’s hard sometimes to know which one is the right one. 

How has publishing a book changed your life?  

It’s amazing and wonderful, but I’m still me. My family will always come first, but I hope to publish as many as I can because I truly love what I do. 

If your book is based on true events, how has that affected those around you or why made you choose to use historical events?  

It’s not based on true events, but I hope my book can help someone going through what Oakley is going through. It’s hard to lose someone you love, but you still have to keep moving forward, even if it feels like you can’t. 

What are your plans now?  

Keep writing! 

What is your best tip for aspiring authors?  

Don’t give up. You will get rejected, you will have hard times that will make you want to quit. Believe me. Even after you’re published things don’t work out like you plan sometimes. But love what you do and do the best you can. Things always do work out in their own time. 

Is there anything else you would like to share with our readership? (Here you can share about characters, historical facts, setting or whatever else you would like our readers to know about your book.)  

This book has a little bit of everything. A summer on a beach, healing, first love, the bond between a brother and sister, and most fun of all, surfing! 

Do you have a website? If so, please give the URL. If not, where can readers go online to learn more about your book(s) and to order 

 http://chantelesedgwick.blogspot.com/
 
http://www.chantelesedgwick.com/

All the links are on my website!

1 comment:

PLEASE NOTE

*Stories for Children Publishing, LLC. (SFC) and its divisions do not receive any compensation for product reviews beyond a sample and/or limited access to a paid website. SFC donates all books sent for review to a charitable organization. SFC may do a contest or giveaway of samples we receive. SFC does not review any samples sent without a request for review to the Blog Editor, VS Grenier. SFC's staff members will not return unauthorized samples to the senders, but will donate them without review.