Thursday, May 28, 2015

Interview with Kate Louise, Author of Pierre the French Bulldog Recycles



Tell us about your current book. Give a short summary. 

Pierre the French Bulldog loves digging things up. He tosses some old stuff into the trash but forgets to recycle, and before he can right his mistake the garbage truck comes and empties the trash bin. Pierre then chases the truck through town, with the help of the neighborhood dogs, on a mission to make sure his recyclables don’t end up in landfill.

Can you tell us about your publisher and how the process worked in getting published?

My publisher is Sky Pony Press, the children’s imprint of Skyhorse Publishing. For me, the process after writing the script was to send to my agent, who then worked with me to edit and prep for submission. My agent represents a lot of talented illustrators, so I paired up with Bethany Straker before the MS went out to publishers. Bethany drew up some full color samples to accompany the script and we sent out. We received an offer from Sky Pony after a few months and continued working on it alongside our editor and the rest of the team there.

How did you get the idea for this book?

I used to work somewhere that’s big on recycling, and we make sure to recycle properly at home, too. The idea started with the two bins – a greedy, smelly garbage bin and a sad, hungry recycling bin. I wanted to include some knowledge of why we recycle, but also make it a lot of fun to read.

What is a typical writing day like for you?

If I’ve got the day to myself, I like to have a quiet breakfast and cup of tea before starting up the computer. And I take the dog for a walk somewhere in the middle. It depends how much I’ve got on at the time. Some days I can stop, take the dog, and come back and do my own thing. Other days I need to use all the time I have to meet deadlines etc.

What do you enjoy most about writing?

It’s relaxing (at times!). I enjoy the quiet. It’s also amazing to see a project develop. To go from a first draft, through each stage, until it’s looking like a finished book.

What is the most difficult part of writing?

Motivating myself at times when I want to be doing anything but. We all have those days, but at home on my own there’s no one but me to say “Come on! You can do it!”

How has publishing a book changed your life? 

I just think it’s amazing to interact with readers, both online and through visits to schools and stores. It’s both wonderful and surreal to hold a book with your name on and get to share your story with others.

What are your plans now?

I have another picture book out this year with the same publisher – Tough Cookie, about a mischievous gingerbread man who learns the positive effects of kindness, illustrated by the fabulous Grace Sandford. I also write young-adult novels under the name Kate Ormand, and have a book out this September that is currently going back and to between my editor and me.

What is your best tip for aspiring authors?

To believe in yourself and your work. Every piece of writing is beneficial – accepted or rejected, it’s never a waste of time. All we can do is move forward.

Do you have a website? If so, please give the URL. If not, where can readers go online to learn more about your book(s) and to order?

You can see more about Kate and her writing by visiting her website (katelouiseauthor.wordpress.com) or on Twitter (@katelouisebooks).

1 comment:

PLEASE NOTE

*Stories for Children Publishing, LLC. (SFC) and its divisions do not receive any compensation for product reviews beyond a sample and/or limited access to a paid website. SFC donates all books sent for review to a charitable organization. SFC may do a contest or giveaway of samples we receive.